Burns Night Dessert
Iced Crabbie's Cranachan with Ginger Shortbread Thistles
Best frozen over night.
200ml fresh custard (you can use shop bought)
100ml whipped double cream
100ml Crabbie’s Raspberry alcoholic ginger beer
1 200gr of frozen raspberries
50gr Pinhead oatmeal
25gr brown sugar
50ml raspberry coulis
100gr plain flour
50gr icing sugar
1 tsp finely chopped stem ginger
100gr unsalted butter
1. Bring to the boil and Reduce the Raspberry Crabbie’s by half then add to the raspberry coulis allow to cool.
2. Fold whipped cream & custard together then add a few raspberries and raspberry coulis folded through to be quite swirly not all of the mix pink (if you do go too far that’s ok!)
3. Pour mixture into a clingfilm lined bread tin or deep mould terrine and put in the freezer overnight is best.
4. Make shortbread add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until a soft dough roll out to as thick as a £2 coin cut into shapes and bake in an oven 150c for 20-25 allow to cool first.
5. Place pinhead oatmeal & sugar in a hot pan until sugar dissolves and coats the oatmeal allow to cool.
6. Remove cranachan from the freezer and take off clingfilm then roll into the oats until they stick and cover the outside of the cranachan.
7. To serve add a few raspberries to the plate with the shortbread & slice the Iced cranachan.
8. Serve with a full glass of Raspberry Crabbie’s & enjoy!
Recipe created by Jacqueline O’Donnell